10-12 And that about wraps it up. God is strong, and he wants you strong. So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. This is no afternoon athletic contest that we’ll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels. 13-18 Be prepared. You’re up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it’s all over but the shouting you’ll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You’ll need them throughout your life. God’s Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other’s spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.
~ Ephesians 6:10-18 MSG
Here are a few thoughts that I hope address the discussion on what’s wrong with us, as it relates to this passage in particular:
1. Whatever is wrong, however it weakens us, that is not God’s plan.
2. There are competing forces for our attention; we must learn how to use the tools that God provides to help us continue to live out of our “image bearing” selves.
3. This is serious. Pay attention.
4. Although God is awesome, he expects us to do the work of preparation.
5. Be humble; accept help.
6. Spiritual disciplines result in quantifiable actions - truth, righteousness, peace, faith and salvation. These are more than concepts; they are guideposts for living.
7. Stay alert; pray.
8. Encourage one another.
These eight or so concepts are weapons to combat spiritual kryptonite. They are our suit of armor.
How would you evaluate your readiness?